Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The smartphone.....The Ultimate Distractor for teachers ?

Last April I upgraded to an i-phone.  All of my friends had I-Phones and they raved about the amount of applications and functions the phone came with.  When i first purchased it, i was a little confused about how to use.  Not because i didn't know how to use apple products but because i was so used to the blackberry. The I-phone radically changed my attention in the classroom.  I realized that my attention was away from meetings, classes and presentations and family occasions.  When i go out i realize how many people are not interacting with their friends but are surfing the web, or looking at apps on their phones. 

What obstacles does this mean for teachers in the classroom?  Well unfortunately, smartphones have become an ultimate distraction of students in school.  Teachers become frustrated trying to deal with their students paying little attention on their school work and placing all their focus on their devices. In order to prevent this type of problem from occurring, teachers must set a firm rule about cell phones in the classroom.  For example, s cell phone policy must be listed in the syllabus.  Without a policy students will take advantage of the teacher because he or she did not explicitly mention it in the beginning of the school year. Afterward, the teacher will be forced to either take away the phone any other measures to prevent it from occurring in the class.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like everywhere I look someone has an IPhone pulled out. I have never had one either and everyone raved about how much they use it and all the different features I have. I probably wont get one because I already have an ITouch, but I do so people just scrolling through their phones during class time. It’s definitely a distraction! If I was a teacher it would probably drive me crazy, I agree that there should be a clear cellphone policy. In high school one of my teachers actually had us put our phone on our desk so she could see it, and another one made us put our cellphones in a box before class started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was "that" girl in high school that did not have a phone. I was not allowed to get one until I graduated and although I was "that" girl, i thoroughly thank my parents for not giving me a phone. I avoided much drama and I was always on task in class rather than worrying about who was texting me. I hate going out and seeing everyone on their phones so I know exactly what you are talking about. I am still stuck in the dark ages without an I phone but I am okay with that. I do agree that teachers have to have a strong policy on cell phones, but they also have to enforce the policy. I see many teachers that say they have a policy but turn the other way when someone has a phone out, or they make exceptions. Teachers that have a policy and enforce it are the teachers that are going to get the most out of their students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I had a cell phone in high school, I don't think it was my ultimate distraction, maybe because it wasn't a smartphone. Nowadays, high school students (and even middle school students!) have smartphones, which can be a distraction in the classroom with all the apps and games they can use and play. However, although the cons outweigh the pros, there is one very convenient and beneficial reason for students to have cell phones in the classrooms: emergency. Whether it is because a student does not feel well, has a family emergency (aunt in hospital, etc) or a school-wise emergency, with one click of a button, that student's parents are alerted. Teachers can enforce the "no cell phone" policy all they want, but sometimes, we just have to make exceptions.

    ReplyDelete